I’ve been asked so many times “Why ukulele? and why not just pick up the guitar?” Here’s my take on the argument.
- Easy to learn
- Relatively cheap
- Flexibility to become technical if you want
- Relatively uncommon (for now) It’s just a matter of time before it goes mainstream.
- Some stigma/uncool
- Lack of depth in sound
- Limited to a few octaves on the fretboard
- Lack of books in music stores
- Some songs just don’t sound right with the uke
- Range and depth of sounds
- Easily accessible books
- Popular “Cool”
- Difficult to learn, requires months/years to get any good
- Way too common
What really does it for me is that it’s easy and fun. I spent months learning the guitar years ago and I found it difficult and frustrating. On the uke it took all of 10 minutes to learn my first song, I haven’t put it down since. If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already got a uke that you’ll be abusing so you’re on my side.